Car insurance is a must-have for all drivers, whether you...Read More
Aberdeen is a world away from Hollywood but its stark harbour and granite skyline is attracting tourists. Aberdeen tourism bosses want to lure them in with giant letters spelling out the city’s name in historic Castlegate.
The project is part of a creative initiative to encourage footfall and improve the city centre. It has been launched by Aberdeen Inspired, a business improvement district.
The AWPR is an innovative road project that links Stonehaven with Dyce and Balmedie to the east of the city, taking drivers around 30 minutes instead of the hour-long journey along single track country roads. This time saving allows drivers to get to their destination more quickly and safely, reducing congestion and pollution in the region as a whole.
The project was launched in 2009 and construction began in February 2015, despite problems with utilities crossing the road line, a bout of winter weather and the collapse of contractor Carillion in January 2018. However, the AWPR finally opened to traffic on 19 February 2019.
In the year since it has been fully open, Transport Scotland has released data that shows HGV traffic on the A92 has reduced significantly. Depending on the location, the reduction has ranged from 49 per cent to 61 per cent. This is significantly better than the 20 to 36 per cent predicted by Transport Scotland and suggests that the AWPR may be more successful in attracting HGV traffic from the local road network.
It was during this period that Wrekin Products were approached to provide a solution to the problem of securing manhole covers on the AWPR site. A visit to the site, measurements and technical expertise were provided by Wrekin’s engineers.
A quality ironwork solution, the signs Aberdeen range was chosen for this project and has proven to be a success. These highway manhole covers conform to BS EN 124:2015 & HA104/09 requirements and feature patented safety provisions and design features that ensure safe and robust operation.
The contract was one of the largest for a one off contract that Wrekin Products had ever secured and saw the first use of the Highway range in a real-world application. Throughout the project, a close working relationship with the client was maintained with frequent site visits, technical advice and liaison with other parties to deliver successful, solution-based results.
The junction at Cleanhill has been a focus of criticism for many years due to the number of collisions involving vehicles overshooting the roundabout. This is the reason why yellow rumble strips have been installed to alert drivers to the roundabout, but these measures will only be effective in the long-term if they are used correctly.
A fine, largely 17th century Mercat Cross stands in the centre of Castlegate and is one of the most significant streetscape features of the city. It is richly carved on the parapet, and the pier has a deep circular parapet divided into 12 carved panels. The carved columns are tall, narrow and Corinthian in style and surmounted by a gilt marble unicorn.
The Mercat Cross is of great significance for Aberdeen, and its physical appearance is also a very important aspect of the city’s visual identity. It was built around 1686 and repaired in 1821-2. The cross is very well carved on both the parapet and column with Arms of the Crown and City, oval-framed bas-reliefs of Stuart monarchs from James I to James VII, thistles and roses.
There are many historical associations with the area and its name, as evidenced by the fact that it was referred to as ‘Castlegate’ in numerous documents throughout the years. This is because sign company Aberdeen was once known as a street leading to the Castle.
In recent years the city has been investing in the area to bring it back into use, and this will include the reconstruction of the castle gatehouse as part of a PS5m regeneration project. This will include the re-excavation of three sections of the castle’s moat.
As part of the regeneration project, essential geoarchaeological work will also be carried out on the site to examine the underlying groundwork and identify what remains below. This will allow future archaeologists to gain insight into the area’s past and to plan how the area could be used more effectively in the future.
Another historic feature is the sandstone war memorial to the Gordon Highlanders regiment. This monument is a reminder of the strength and courage of the people of Scotland.
A similar monument was erected by Robert Johnstone on the Fish Cross in the mid-16th century. This was the first hygienic market in the city and he charged the 40s a year for the privilege of selling the catch at his fish stall.
The castle is a significant part of the city’s history, and it is hoped that the council’s funding bid will see its regeneration in place to serve as a reminder of this. This will help the area become an attraction for visitors and residents alike.
Union Street is Aberdeen’s main shopping thoroughfare, sometimes known as the Granite Mile. It was constructed between 1794 and 1800 to link the formerly steep, haphazard network of medieval streets with the town centre. It was a feat of engineering skill, involving the levelling of St Katherine’s Hill at the Eastend and the building of arches to carry the street over Putachieside.
The area around Union Street is also a popular place for the annual Aberdeen International Street Market, which is held during springtime. The area is also home to the Bon Accord Centre and Trinity Centre, as well as bars, restaurants and nightclubs.
Many of the buildings along this stretch are very old. Some, such as a former cinema building, were built during the 19th century when the city was growing rapidly. Others, such as a bank branch and the Bon Accord Centre, are more recent.
A number of buildings are now empty, and many more are being refurbished. It is hoped that the area can be turned around, but it is a long road ahead.
One idea to help turn the situation around is to create a private firm to promote the city’s high street. This could attract vital investment and help revive its fortunes, according to a report from a business summit.
The suggestion comes as the city council is putting together a plan to revamp the city centre. Its goal is to boost the city’s economy by attracting more visitors, while maintaining a strong connection with its traditional Scottish roots.
Union Street has been nicknamed the Granite Mile because the majority of its buildings are faced with grey granite. It was a major development project during the 19th century and is now showing its age, with shops closing and some units lying empty.
This is a great route to explore, and it’s especially interesting at night, when it becomes more colourful. You’ll also see a lot of historical buildings along the way, as well as many of the landmarks that are synonymous with Aberdeen. It’s a great way to experience the city, and is safe to walk at any time of day.
The Merchant Quarter is a part of the city centre that will soon be redeveloped into a new shopping, entertainment and community hub. It is the result of a regeneration scheme by the city council and a consortium of local businesses.
The area has been named after its historic buildings and aims to provide a variety of new leisure, retail and tourism opportunities. It is hoped the new area will be a ‘cosmopolitan destination’ for visitors and residents alike.
In the past, the district was known as Merchant City and was home to warehouses of wealthy merchants who specialised in shipping tobacco, sugar and tea. The area was also home to Glasgow’s central fruit, vegetable and cheese markets.
Today, the area has become a vibrant commercial and residential area with some of the most exciting independent bars, restaurants and boutiques in the city. It also hosts numerous events and festivals.
Many of the area’s buildings date back to the 1750s when it was known as the Merchant City. The area was a popular choice for housing and commerce due to its location near Glasgow Green.
This is one of the oldest parts of the city centre and it still has a lot to offer in terms of history and architecture. There are some lovely old buildings in the area such as the Ulster Bank Headquarters which was converted into a five-star hotel.
Another impressive building is the old Royal Exchange. It is thought to be the most beautiful building in the whole of Aberdeen and has a wonderful sandstone facade.
The Royal Exchange is an important part of the city’s heritage and it was the first public house in the country to be granted a licence to sell whisky, which dates back to 1785. It was later expanded to include a pub and restaurant.
The old Royal Exchange also features a sign that has been in use since 1836. It is one of the most well-known signs in the world and is regarded as a major piece of the city’s architectural heritage.